Five Easy Tips To Keep Cockroaches Out Of Your Arlington Home
April 15, 2021
There are few pests out there that inspire instant disgust and dread as the cockroach does. This annoying pest is known to invade homes seemingly at will, and with over 30 species of cockroach possible, it only adds to the potential problem. While different species act differently from each other and boast some unique characteristics, they possess enough similarities that anyone can easily identify them. Cockroaches have a flat oval-shaped body. Also, their bodies are oily to the touch and they possess a shield-like cover on their head.
Dangerous Enough To Be Prevented
Cockroaches aren't a threat to your safety or even your property. However, they are a very large threat to your health. This is largely because of their gross habits and behavior. Cockroaches like to travel on garbage and decaying matter. Even worse, they'll feed on the fecal matter if inclined. In the end, this means they're covered in pathogens and bacteria when they manage to get inside your home.
For this reason, many illnesses are associated with cockroaches such as salmonellosis, cholera, typhoid fever, dysentery gastroenteritis, leprosy, plague, E. coli, and listeriosis among others. Also, cockroaches have been known to trigger allergic reactions and asthma in people, especially in children. Due to the inherent danger with cockroaches, it's much better to prevent a cockroach infestation from happing instead of trying to remove them from the premises.
Tips To Keep Cockroaches Out
So how do you keep the cockroaches out of your home? We set out to answer that question by getting you started with five helpful prevention tips:
- Clean Everything: Cockroaches are gross and don't like remaining in clean environments as much as filthy environments. Wipe down the counters, sweep the floors, sanitize everything, and you'll find the cockroaches aren't interested.
- Check The Food: This pest wants your food however it can get a hold of it. Make sure to wipe up any crumbs, place food in proper containers, and keep everything in your refrigerator and freezer. Don't forget to clean under appliances and furniture to ensure there aren't any crumbs left behind. Also, try to limit where you eat so there's only one room to clean by default.
- Empty The Trash: Roaches love garbage. They love to eat it, crawl in it, and will gladly take advantage of any openings you give them. Make sure the trashcans have a tight-fitting lid. Also, try to empty the trash every night as this greatly limits their options. Finally, be sure your trashcans and containers are clean and kept away from the home.
- Take Away The Shelter: Roaches are fond of hiding especially since they're active at night. They'll use items like paper and cardboard as shelter, so be sure to remove these materials from accessible places to better ensure they don't want to stick around.
- Remove Entry Points: This includes sealing around utility pipes and crawlspaces. However, don't forget to use silicone caulk to seal up regular holes, cracks, and crevices in the foundation of your home and along windowsills and doorways.
While not a tip to perform yourself, one thing you can always do is to contact a professional pest control company trained in cockroach elimination to give yourself the best chance possible at a cockroach-free home.
Remove The Cockroaches With Mid South Pest & Termite, LLC.
Cockroaches are bad news and they threaten your comfort and health. Don't put up with them any longer than you have to by working with our team at Mid South Pest & Termite, LLC. We'll take the fight to this troublesome pest on your behalf to make sure cockroach infestations are a thing of the past for you and everyone else residing on the premises. Here at Mid South Pest & Termite, LLC., we offer quality pest control for local homes and businesses with an array of treatment options. Call us today!